Pages

Thursday 15 May 2014

Hunting the Hunters

SCHOOL JOURNAL PART 4 NUMBER 3, 2000, PAGES 7 - 9


Hunting the Hunters by Mary Sutherland

WALT: Learning to make predictions on what is going to happen next in the text by using the keywords in the preceding sentences and paragraphs.
SUCCESS CRITERIA: I am able to predict as to what is going to happen next in the text.


1. What does a spiders eyes work like?
Spiders eyes work like mirrors.
2. Why are most spiders active at night?
Most spiders are active at night because the birds might eat them.
3. How can you know that a spider is a female spider?
Because it’s carrying an egg sack or even a piggy -backing.
4. What are some of the disadvantages for spiders working at night?
It needs some light to help it see where its going.
5. How do some spiders catch their food?
They stalk and pounce on their prey


Activity 2 - Dictionary and Vocabulary
1.  Locate these words in the text and then use an online dictionary to find the meanings
    of these words.
2.  Make sentences with these words.


Word
Meaning
Sentences
1.  pouncing
Spring or swoop suddenly so as to catch prey
I saw the cat pouncing on it’s prey
2.  workers
A person who produces or achieves a specified thing
There were workers working on the road
3.  sparkles
Shine brightly with flashes of light
I saw sparkles in my drink
4.  hunting
The activity of hunting wild animals or game, especially for food or sport.
I was hunting a deer
5.  reflecting
Engaging or ready to engage in physically energetic pursuits
The light was reflecting back into my eyes
6.  active
Something that is on
My account was still active when I left my house
7.  creature
An animal, as distinct from a human being.
I saw a creature on the planet
8.  expect
Regard something as likely to happen.
I expected my mum to get me a drink.
9. reinforce
Strengthen or support
I reinforced my friend in a battle
10. absorbed
Take in or soak up
The Alien absorbed my dog


Activity 3 -  Click on the link below and then read the article on How Waves are Made. After you have read the article, write down five facts about How Waves are Made.


* Waves are a product of the wind.
*The best waves for surfing are the result of the interaction of winds on the surface of the ocean, far away from the coast.
*Wind is the first step in the formation of surf able waves.
*Local shore winds can also produce waves, but they can also destroy the quality of the breaking waves.

*Onshore winds are typically known for creating choppy and bumpy waves because their effect is added to the direction of the wave.

http://www.surfertoday.com/wave-height-forecast/9-wave-forecast/6760-how-is-a-wave-formed-understanding-swell-and-surf-forecasts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.